Compliments and complaints

Your feedback is really important to us. If we have done a good job, or you think some areas could be better, let us know.

We review all feedback and use it to improve the services we offer, whether that's sharing good practice or making sure we don't make the same mistakes again.

If you want to give us some feedback tell us online: Tell us how we are doing

Making a complaint

We are committed to treating all our customers with fairness and respect, and take all feedback seriously. We use your feedback to learn from your experiences, improve current services and inform how we will provide services in the future.

We will do all we can to make sure that our relationship with you is a positive one. In return we ask that you assist by:

  • working cooperatively with the Council in seeking to resolve your complaint;
  • treating our staff with respect when making a complaint;
  • being honest and accurate with the information you provide;
  • supplying us with more information, if we ask for it.

You can complain about:

  • a service provided by the Council directly or by a contractor or partner working on behalf of the Council. Providing it is not covered by other complaints or appeal procedures, such as those for complaints about School Admissions or Penalty Charge Notices, etc.
  • actions being proposed or which have been carried out or a decision that has been made by the Council. Providing these are not covered by other complaints or appeal procedures, such as planning appeals procedures.
  • Children looked after by Calderdale Council.

When we receive your complaint we will:

  • acknowledge this within 2 working days of receipt.
  • identify an appropriate manager to act as the investigating officer. They will look into the complaint and provide you with an appropriate response.
  • if more time is needed the investigating manager will contact you to discuss this and agree a date for responding.
  • implement 'lessons learnt', to reduce or eliminate the chances of complaints being repeated.
  • record the details of the complaint on our complaints database. This can be used to see significant patterns or to identify trends, which can be used to improve existing services or inform service developments.

Anyone with a complaint, must give us the opportunity to address this first, through our Complaints Procedure, see: PDFCorporate complaints procedure - customer guidance [PDF 259KB] .

Vexatious complaints

A minority of complainants can be unreasonably persistent, or behave unacceptably in pursuing their complaints.

Calderdale Council have introduced a policy to address situations where a complainant's behaviour is deemed to be vexatious.

For details of the policy, please view: PDFCalderdale Council's policy on vexatious complainant behaviour [PDF 78KB] .

Unresolved complaints

If we are unable to resolve your complaint, to your satisfaction, you have the right to approach the Local Government Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can decide to carry out its own investigation into a complaint. However, they may decide not to investigate a complaint further, visit: Local Government Ombudsman - how to complain , or phone: 0300 061 0614.

Annual complaints reports

Reports are presented annually for Council Members to consider areas where performance can be improved. This reviews learning from complaints received in the previous year:

The Local Government Ombudsman, also makes an annual report. This shows the number and types of complaints they have dealt with in the previous year. These reports can be found on their website, visit: Local Government Ombudsman .


If the information you need about making complaints or giving compliments and suggestions, is not here, contact us:

Chat online now with one of our dedicated customer care advisers and receive assistance with your query straight away.

See also